Many of our visitors this time of year are holiday makers who have chosen the worlds best destination to spend their jollies.
Some of them stay in local hotels, holiday parks and B and B’s…
others come with caravan in tow and others…… well, they camp.
when it comes to camping you belong to one of two er, camps.
you are either in the ‘love it’ gang or the ‘hate it’ crew. At the Bowgie Inn, Crantock we think the ‘Hate it’ crew can easily be converted because they probably didn’t camp right.
the right kit can make or break a camping trip and to help everyone experience the joy of the tent life we’ve compiled a list of a few extra bits and bobs to add to the obvious essentials.
1. A bog in a bag. Go on, google it. Yeah you can walk to a portaloo in the dead of night with a flash light and hope you don’t encounter an angry sheep. OR you can use a bog in a bag. We know what we would choose.
2. Solar powered fairy lights. Before you dismiss this as silly idea, let us explain. Sitting outside your tent of an evening is made all the more pleasurable with the ambience of fairy lights.
3a. A wheelbarrow or little pull along trailer if you are at a festival. Your car and tent will be separated by what feels like miles… and stuff is heavier than you think.
3b. A camping fridge. You can run it off your car battery or gas fuel and it means you get a cold beer whenever you want… and if cold beer doesn’t make camping lovable then nothing will.
4. An eye mask and ear plugs. it’s never dark enough or quiet enough in a tent…. don’t find out the hard way.
5. An Air bed. maybe one night without one is manageable but a whole week on the floor would be torturous even for Bear Grylls.
6. An old school paper map with route to The Bowgie from your campsite highlighted in red. We know you have maps on your phone and your ipad and your thingywhatsit. But batteries go, wifi in a field is rubbish and screens get sat on. Paper won’t let you down in your time of need. When things get too much and you’re feeling all ‘tenty’ we can serve you up a plate of something tasty and a glass of something restorative to keep your camping experience on track.
With these added extras you are guaranteed to love camping…. unless you are going camping with toddlers. In which case you are beyond help.