It’s no secret that Cornwall is the most beautiful place on the planet. It’s also no secret that Cornwall is inhabited by the most beautiful people on the planet too; just look at us lot here at The Bowgie Inn, Crantock, for proof!
However, us Cornish Folk do have a few secrets of our own and because we consider you one of our very best friends, we’re happy to share them with you now. As long as you pinkie promise not to tell a single other person.
Good. Well here goes.
1. Almost every single Cornish person you ever meet will have sand in their belly button at any given moment.
2. We have our own words that are not used elsewhere in the UK. Real beauties of words like Dreckly, My ‘ansum, my lover, Wasson, Bleddy and Proper. There’s probably a good reason why nowhere else uses words as funny as these, but we won’t go into that now! They are words that make us Cornish and that’s why we love em!
3. We don’t eat pasties every day (well, mostly!)
4. We don’t drink cider every day (well, mostly!)
5. Despite what the brochures would have you believe, it actually rains a lot in Cornwall, but thankfully summer makes up for it! And we actually enjoy the beach in the mizzle.
6. We often have to remind ourselves how lucky we are to live here.
Believe it or not, it’s so easy to take this all for granted!
7. We only take 5 minutes to get ready to go out. And ‘going out’ is a loose term! Beach BBQs beat nightclubs….
8. The beach is our beauty parlour. We often use salt water and wind to style our hair and sand makes a brilliant exfoliant.
9. Everyone has a favourite beach they feel very protective about. A beach whose location we rarely reveal to strangers and a beach we all feel is ‘ours’. There have been many a bitter feud amongst friends and families over who was the first to discover a particular beach and we’re sure these feuds will continue for generations to come.
10. We love going travelling and seeing new places. But we’ll never live anywhere else!